Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) - Hydrophilic or Hydrophobic
- PTFE membranes are inherently hydrophobic; they are ideal for the filtration of nonpolar liquids and gases.
- Very resistant to solvents as well as acids or bases.
- Can be made more hydrophilic by flushing with alcohol, followed by water.
- Used for filtering and de-gassing chromatography solvents.
- Permits optimal utilization of small sample volumes.
- Excellent chemical compatibility for filtering harsh chemicals that destroy other membrane materials.
- Moisture barrier for venting applications and vacuum pump line protection.
- Ideal for aerosol sampling.
- Filter viscous organic based HPLC samples.
- Glass microfiber prefilter raises absorption capacity and loading.
- After pre-wetting with alcohol, may be used for fine particle removal of aqueous and mild organic solutions in Ion Chromatography.