5mL Five-O™ Screw Cap Tube
5mL Macro TubesTM
MTC Bio’s new 5mL MacroTubeTM family takes all of the conveniences of 1.5mL tubes and scales them up for larger volumes and throughput applications. In many cases, they replace 15mL tubes, dramatically reducing plastic waste, storage space and shipping costs. Additionally, the 56mm length (vs. 120mm for 15mL tubes) greatly reduces the risk of contamination of pipettor shafts, allowing 1mL or 5mL tips to easily reach the tube bottom.
The tubes are made of high clarity, low-binding, virgin polypropylene and are certified RNase and DNase free. The 16mm diameter is identical to standard 15mL tubes, ensuring compatibility with existing centrifuge rotors. Other equipment, specially designed for 5mL tubes, is available from BenchmarkTM (USA) and German based equipment manufacturers (eg. dry blocks, tube racks, and thermal shakers/vortexers).
In general, a 5mL tube can be used anyplace a 15 mL conical tube is used, but where the volume in the tube is 5mL or less. Conversely, a 5mL tube is recommended to replace 1.5mL or 2mL tubes wherever sample volume exceeds the capacity of those tubes.
- Compatible with standard equipment
- Withstands up 25,000xg
- Dual graduations at every 0.2mL and 0.5mL
- Unsurpassed clarity
- RNase and DNase free
Main reasons for using a 5mL tube:
- Contamination - when reaching into a 15mL tube to get smaller volumes, the plastic shaft of the pipette can come into contact with the sides of the tube. The shorter profile of the 5mL tube prevents this. Only the tip enters the neck of the tube, preventing cross-contamination.
- Storage space - A 5mL tube takes up much less space than a 15mL tube. In storage, shipping and freezer applications, a quantity of 5mL tubes requires 60% less space than the same quantity of 15mL tubes.
- Cost - why pay for a larger tube when a smaller one will work?
- A “greener” solution - using a 15mL tube for applications where the volume is between 2 and 5mL is a waste of resources and places an unnecessary volume of plastic into the waste stream.
- Biopsies, whether stored, dry, or in solution
- Preparation of master mixes or buffers
- Sample storage in the refrigerator, freezer or on the shelf
- Tissue and cell lysis
- High Speed Centrifugation of samples up to 25,000xg (Centrifuge and rotors for 5mL tubes from Hermle, Hettich, Eppendorf and Benchmark are available).
- Mixing of samples
- Heating/Cooling samples (Eppendorf and Benchmark offer equipment and accessories to fit 5mL tubes directly).
- Phenol extractions- the high-grade polypropylene is compatible with short term exposure to phenol.
- Cell separations
- Sample prep
- DNA, RNA and protein extractions/purification
Common Instruments which will accommodate 5mL tubes:
- Centrifuges (dedicated 5mL as well as 15mL rotors with our adapter (C2570)
- Dry blocks
- Bead homogenizers with a 5mL tube holder
- Thermal mixers
Screw Cap Tubes are supplied with 20mm (OD) caps that seal smoothly and completely with a single 360o turn. Useable from -86oC to 110oC, they are a valuable vessel for boiling and low temperature sample preservation. Choose from non-sterile bulk packaging or similar to 15mL tubes (but requiring 60% less storage space), rack packaging (upright in foam racks with caps attached.)